19 August 2004

clouds

We had cotton candy clouds today. They were everywhere, making the city magical. I thought they would touch down if I drove far enough. I wished for sunset to paint them pinks, oranges and reds. I had to keep stopping, pulling over and getting out of my car to look at the sky. My pictures don’t begin to show the spectacularness and beauty. I’ve never seen clouds like this before. I was entranced on the way home, I know people thought I was crazy, but I didn’t care.

It reminded me of how easy it is to miss things if you aren’t looking for them. I’ve been looking close these days... He says there are remarkable things all the time, right in front of us, but our eyes have like the clouds over the sun and our lives are paler and poorer if we do not see them for what they are. He says, if nobody speaks of remarkable things, how can they be called remarkable? (From If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor. Read it. You will not be sorry. It may be the best book I’ve ever read, and I’m only being slightly dramatic by saying that.)

No comments: