27 September 2004

but how?

There are two kinds of people in the world. People that are waiting and people that are living. I've been turning this thought over for a while, trying to figure out what it means. I've seen so many websites from people who had happiness, and lost it, or maybe just know it's out there. It consumes you. The feeling that something else is out there, and you won't be happy unless you have it. I've done it myself. I have a place where I go when I'm sad and lonely and need to be sad and lonely. But I try to keep it disconnected from the rest of my world. I try not to dwell on it. I try to work on today, and not yesterday or tomorrow.

Because I've discovered a kind of person who can enjoy who they are today instead of wishing to be different. And that is who I want to be. And I think that is one of the secrets to life. Live today. (I'm not saying to live like you have no future. Although this moment is the only guarentee. Life can change so quickly.)

By happiness I don't mean never having a day to lay on the couch and be depressed. I simply mean having more good days than bad. Liking the quirks and imperfections that make you, you and me, me. That's all I really want.

I'm not sure exactly how to become this other kind of person, partly, I think, because I was raised to be the first. Sometimes I feel like I've taken a step, then the next day I feel right where I started.

No comments: