04 October 2004

today


I need a release before I burst. Maybe this isn't it. Maybe this is.

The hardest thing for me is letting go. In art and photography, but also in life. Not lining everything up, not trying to be perfect. Being okay as is. Because really, perfect is boring. Perfect is fake. Perfect is unachievable. And the people, artists, writing, photography that I admire most are the most imperfect and the most real.

Last night, I made my first piece of art in, oh, twelve years or so. My first painting since watercolors in coloring books and paint-by-number sets. A collage of the day. It might not be perfect, but I love it.

Word of the day: wistful \WIST-ful\ adjective

1 : full of yearning or desire tinged with melancholy; also : inspiring such yearning
2 : musingly sad : pensive

No comments: